This is a very popular Mangalorean recipe and can be prepared with Kaane (smelt), Maanji (pomfret) or Visonu (king fish).
1. Smelt fish (10-15 no.)
2. 10-12 red chillies (bedgi)
3. 1-2 garlic cloves
4. 2 tsp coriander seeds
5. 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
6. 1 medium size onion
7. pinch of turmeric
8. Curry leaves (8-10 no.)
9. Cilantro for garnishing
10. Salt to taste
- Cut and clean the smelt fish. Rub soem salt and turmeric powder over the fish and keep aside.You can use frozen or fresh smelt. Frozen smelt tastes good, but fresh ones taste awesome:)
- Soak the red chillies and garlic in warm water for about half an hour.
- Chop the onion and keep aside about a quarter of the onion for grinding.
- Grind the onion, coriander seeds, red chillies, garlic, tamarind concentrate and turmeric powder.
- Marinate the fish with a small portion of this paste and keep aside the remaining quantity.
- Now pour some oil in a pan and when it is hot, add the curry leaves and the sliced onion.
- Fry the onion for some time till it turns translucent, then add the ground paste and fry for some more time.
- Now add the marinated fish and pour a small amount of water.
- Cook the fish on a low flame, taking care not to stir or toss the fish too much.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice and dalithoy!