Here's the recipe for Pedve ghashi:
- Fresh or frozen sardines (9-10)
- 3/4 cup fresh/frozen grated coconut or coconut powder
- 7-8 roasted red chillies(Bedgi)
- 1/2 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 1tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 8-10 Szechuan pepper (Teppal) (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- Salt to taste
- If using frozen fish, thaw it in cold/lukewarm water first.
- Chop off the head and tail and clean the fish thoroughly.
- Rub a little salt and turmeric over the fish and keep it aside.
- Roast the coriander and fenugreek seeds together in 1/2 tsp oil till they turn slightly brown.
- Grind the coconut powder or fresh/frozen grated cocunut, roasted red chillies, tamarind concentrate, roasted coriander and fenugreek seeds into a fine paste.
- Empty this paste into a vessel and heat it until it starts boiling.
- Now add the fish to this paste, add salt to taste and boil for another 5-10 minutes on a medium flame.
- Since fish gets cooked very fast, keep checking the curry frequently taking care to see that it does not get overcooked.
- Once the fish is fully cooked(the fish flesh should turn completely white on the inside), sprinkle some coconut oil over the curry and turn off the gas.
- For added flavor, you can also add slightly ground Szechuan pepper (Teppal) to the curry while it boils.
- Serve hot with rice, upkari and some plain yogurt!