2 to 2.5 cups Basmati rice - washed and kept aside
1 medium size onion - slit lengthwise into small pieces
1 medium size tomato - cut into small pieces
1 small bunch mint leaves - finely/coarsely chopped
1 small bunch cilantro - finely/coarsely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2-3 small green chillies
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4-5 bay leaves
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 tsp cumin seeds
8-10 whole black pepper
2-3 badi elaichi
Salt to taste
1) Pour ghee/oil (preferably ghee) in a vessel.
2) Add the cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom and badi elaichi.
3) Add chopped onion and saute for some time till the onion turns translucent brown.
4) Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for some more time.
5) Add the chopped tomato and slit green chillies, turmeric powder and saute till the tomato blends with the onion.
6) Add the chopped mint leaves and cilantro and mix thoroughly. Saute for 5 mins.
7) Add the washed rice and salt to taste, mix thoroughly, saute for 5 mins.
8) Finally add water (1: 1.5 ratio) and cover the vessel with a tight lid. Cook until rice is done (around 15-20 mins on a low/medium setting)
Credits: Smita Kamath